Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Joys of Post-Mastectomy Swimsuit Season


Helllooo Summer!

Brace yourselves everyone, swimsuit season is definitely upon us and I've been trying to avoid it with great fortitude, but it's no longer an option as I am gearing up for a weekend on a lake with friends. Phooey.

In less than 4 weeks, I'll be heading to a lake cottage in Eastern Canada for a mini-reunion with some dear friends. And while all I have been daydreaming about are long walks along the water's edge, evening happy hours and laughter, one of my friends e-mailed us all about her excitement of getting her bathing suit on for a swim. $%&#!@*!

How could I have forgotten this part of the trip? My mind was solely focused on friendship, meaningful conversation, fun cocktails on a porch and reminiscing. That was my fantasy anyway, until my friend Barb, who is a tall, blonde drink of water from chilly Minnesota mentioned the whole bathing suit, can't-wait-to-go-for-a-swim conversation in an e-mail. Thanks Barb!

Ugh.

Not only have I not worn a bathing suit out in public in the nearly 3 years since this whole cancer gig #3 reared it's ugly head, but my 'Tamoxifen 30' has kept me far away from the swimsuit sections in all stores. On top of that, the New Girls aren't exactly complete yet and a tad off balance, so now what?!

I've been combing the internet on all the mastectomy bathing suit websites in the hopes of finding that perfect fit that flatters the New Girls and hides the scars, but so far, no luck and I'm running out of time! From Lands End, to Hapari, most of these gals don't exactly look like they've been to hell and back in their Sports Illustrated-esque swimsuit shots. Opposite in fact. With pictures of young women leaping across the sand and bathing suit categories such as 'silicon illusions' and 'secret pockets,' I'm not exactly finding anything out there for this soon-to-be-swimming-lakeside-gal.

Plus, I don't need to be stuffing any chick fillets into my bathing suit top, or wearing a summer turtle neck style suit. I have implants. Check!

I merely need a bathing suit that doesn't show the imbalanced left 'Girl' (Trixie - she's a trouble- maker for sure!) and something that hides the scars along the edge of my left armpit. Is this so much to ask for? Geeze. Is there not a tankini that comes without the fillets?! I have those already! Just give me a swimsuit that covers all the necessary and critical parts without looking like I'm wearing something to cover up something and a suit that doesn't come with an instruction manual.

So here I go, out into the brave, cold, cruel world of bathing suit shopping. And as my mother-in-law wisely said, "Even in the best of times, it's the worst of times"



No comments:

Post a Comment