Friday, December 9, 2011

A Dose of Inspiration: Turtles


Turtle documentary picture courtesy of IMDB

Long gone are the days of watching mindless t.v.! Okay, well, not COMPLETELY gone. But, my current obsession seems to lie with animals. Having grown up with all sorts and sizes since childhood that included dogs, goats, horses, sheep, pigs, cows, you name it, I've always had a special kinship with the animal kingdom. I've taught pigs to follow me with certain whistles, I trained my childhood dachshund to lead my horse around a corral to cool it down (ok, so that was a little lazy of me) and I also taught my 3-legged dog to sit on her haunches and give me 5! with her only front paw. But until recently, I did not know the power and inspiration behind the turtle. And if you think I'm exaggerating, then you've got to watch Turtle: The Incredible Journey. I saw this while recovering from a couple of biopsies two weeks ago and was literally blown away. These cute little reptiles crawl their way into the ocean and paddle through life (solo!) with the fervor and zeal of nothing I've ever witnessed in my life. So, of course, this got me to thinking, if this endangered species can swim their way through life with such courage and might, then I too, can make my way through uncharted territory while understanding that I really do know my way around and maybe, I'm more on course than I thought. Because the turtle does not actually know where they're headed or how to get there, they just keep moving forward!

P.S. Thanks to my neighbor and friend Kim for dropping off the green turtle ornament on my doorstep last week! It will be by my side in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment